Current available jobs in Communications:
Duration: 2017-18 Utica Comets season
This position reports to and is supervised by: Lindsay Mogle and Andy Zilch
The Utica Comets are offering opportunities to undergraduate and secondary college level students looking to gain real world experience and position themselves for a career in the Sports Industry upon graduation. The internship begins in late-September and lasts until the conclusion of the 2017-18 season.
The Utica Comets are located in Utica, New York, inside the Utica Memorial Auditorium. The Comets are members of the American Hockey League – a professional hockey league only one level below the National Hockey League. The Comets serve as the top minor league affiliate for the Vancouver Canucks.
The Communications Interns will be responsible for a number of key functions of the Comets game day operations in the communications, broadcasting, public relations and media relations department. This position is an unpaid internship, requiring work at all 38 Utica Comets home games, some away games, and potential playoff games, as well a special events related to the Comets and Utica Memorial Auditorium.
Only individuals interested in possibly pursuing a career in the sports industry should apply. Because most successful people in the sports industry begin as fans themselves, an extensive knowledge of and interest in hockey is required. This allows the intern to be more productive, get more out of the experience, and most importantly, publish credible material.
• Assist in producing and updating statistics, notes and player biographies in media kits
• Assist in managing social media outlets, including Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram on game nights
• Assist in pre-game preparation (media room, game notes, credentials, press box set-up)
• Facilitate needs of media during game (distribution of line-ups, box scores and other assistance upon request)
• On-air possibility for intermission reports/interviews/league content
• Assist with writing and distribution of game day press releases
• Other projects and tasks as assigned
INTERNS WILL GAIN EXPERIENCE IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
-Writing and editing regular feature stories for the Comets website
-Writing and editing press releases, game summaries and weekly media updates
-Brainstorming and pitching story ideas to increase coverage of the Comets in print, radio, television and online media
-Producing, compiling and distributing critical information such as press clippings and statistics to the media and to Comets management and coaching staff before and during practices and games
-Updating social networking assets such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat, including pre-game, in-game and post-game updates
-Coordinating the press box on game days – including pre-game setup, supervision during games and post-game duties
-Editing, organizing and selecting photos from games and off-ice events
-Performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned
• Familiarity, interest, and excellent knowledge of hockey and the AHL.
• Excellent communication skills - grammar, spelling, proofreading, and writing abilities
• Positive attitude and excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to manage multiple projects efficiently, and to meet strict deadlines
• A self-starter who is a good problem solver, very organized, with strong attention to detail
• Proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook
• Flexibility in terms of handling a variety of assignments under tight deadlines while maintaining a strong focus on branding, consistency and quality
• Highly organized, motivated and responsible with good time and project management abilities
• A team player with excellent interpersonal skills and a strong customer service orientation
• Professional ability to work flexible schedules including nights, weekends, and holidays
• Professional appearance
• Cheerful, embraces fun and celebration in the workplace
• Passion for and knowledge of the game of hockey is considered an asset
• High degree of personal integrity and honest
• Self-starter who takes initiative
• Works with enthusiasm, dedication, respect and pride
• Receptive to new ideas and approaches, adapts well to change
• Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
• Ability to adapt to creative suggestion and work within client specifications
• Strong ability to adapt to changes, work effectively under pressure and produce accurate results in a fast paced environment
When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Are you currently enrolled in an accredited university's undergraduate Broadcast or Communication program?
2. Will you be receiving college credit for taking part in an internship?
3. Do you have an in-depth knowledge of the game of hockey, its terminology, and possess the ability to write about it in a credible manner?
4. Do you have an in-depth knowledge of the game of hockey, its terminology, and possess the ability to write about it in a credible manner?
Contact the TeamWorkOnline webmaster / FAQ