» Manager, Digital Media - Utica Comets (Utica, NY)
» Future Notification Only - AHL Teams (Various Locations, NA)
Director, Communications/Digital Media – Utica Comets (Utica, NY)
The open position as the Utica Comets Director of Communications/Digital Media encompasses Digital Media, Public Relations, and Media Relations. He/she is responsible for all written and digital content released by the Comets on their various platforms. He/she is also responsible for the team’s public and media relations – setting up and orchestrating press conferences, media requests and passes, press releases, interview requests, and more. The Director of Communications/Digital Media oversees the entire Communications department and works closely with the Broadcaster, Creative Director, VP of Corporate Partnerships, and Community Relations Department to ensure all needs are met and that the brand is represented in a professional and current manner. This individual will work as a strategic partner with all executive staff members to effectively position and promote the Comets organization in the community.
Additionally, the Director of Communications/Digital Media will be heavily involved in initiatives and ventures for ORB Food and Beverage and Garden Entertainment.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Communications and Digital departments that include a Creative Director, Broadcaster, Community Relations Manager and Multimedia Manager.
- Create the strategic vision for the department. Develop and implement integrated marketing communications and digital strategies to effectively communicate the brand, build awareness for the enterprise, elevate the top-of-mind perception of the Comets within the region and increase the traffic and commercial value of the Comet’s digital properties.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with Comets beat reporters, local and regional assignment editors and producers, media company management, trade industry media representatives, and non-sports media (business, entertainment, lifestyle, human interest, etc).
- Proactively communicate with media day-to-day regarding team availabilities and coverage opportunities, including training, pre-game and game storylines, community relations events, etc.
- In conjunction with support from other staff members, develop and research ideas and storylines for pitches to media about the team, players, youth hockey program, charitable foundation and arena.
- Stay heavily involved in community-wide initiatives and efforts to grow the Comets brand
- Oversee the editorial content and production of all digital and social platforms, as well as team produced publications – game notes, statistic inserts, and other team publications – while continuously pitching and creating unique and relevant content
- Produce other written materials, including press releases, game notes, statistical analysis, etc.
- Assist in creating and editing content for online platforms
- Manage the preparation and release of information/announcement in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Prepare and manage department’s operating budgets and business plans.
- Oversee press box operations on game days
The ideal candidate should have 3-5 years of experience in communications, public relations, media relations and/or publicity for a major consumer, lifestyle, entertainment and/or sports company, agency or firm. He/she must have demonstrated experience and expertise in digital and social media, with a deep understanding of current social media trends. Additional qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in communications, public relations, journalism or marketing.
- Excellent interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills. Professional, trustworthy, creative, aggressive and proactive work ethic. Strategic thinker with strong analytical and crisis assessment skills.
- Experience developing and executing public relations and digital content tactics and programs to support organizational objectives.
- Proven track record of building strong partnerships with local, regional and national media representatives.
- Experience in juggling multiple projects simultaneously, and ability to meet and perform under tight deadlines.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to think clearly under pressure and highly developed interpersonal skills to participate in a cross-functional team. Ability to multi-task and work well with people in a fast-paced, team environment.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including but not limited to, evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Strong computer skills preferred
- Strong understanding of the game of hockey preferred
As part of Mohawk Valley Garden, the Utica Comets Digital Media Manager is responsible for strategy, optimization and ownership of the Comets digital, print, web and social platforms from end-to-end.
This high-profile, fast-paced and challenging opportunity requires strong leadership and organization skills by setting a clear vision, building a detailed strategy, bringing innovative thinking to the team and managing deliverables in an efficient, timely manner. He/she will be responsible for representing the Comets brand and defining our voice(s) while collaborating with other team members to create content that is inspiring and entertaining for Comets fans, ultimately driving business, sponsorship, and community results.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Drive vision and strategy for user/fan experience across all digital and social platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Website, etc.)
• Provide day to day leadership of the digital, print, social and mobile staff for the Utica Comets
• Drive integrated content ideation from concept to completion across all platforms
• Ensure integration with all Comets departments, as well as other communications, marketing and
community relations leaders
• Budget planning and management
• Continuously generate new and creative ways to expand the Comets brand and gain followers across all platforms
Qualifications and Education Requirements
• Four-year degree
• Minimum 3-5 years' experience across digital and social media including strategy, digital marketing, social media, web-development and/or a related field
• Extensive knowledge of all digital and social media platforms, with evidence of own SoMe presence
• Extensive writing background
• Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays
• Demonstrated experience managing teams & developing talent
• Experience with professional or collegiate sports preferred
If you would like to be notified of positions in the future with AHL teams, please press "apply" below and fill out the entire application. Make sure your email is correct and you check off the notification boxes, otherwise we cannot send you job notifications. Once you receive notification of a job, you must come back to the site to reapply. Entering your record here does not make you an applicant to any position and is not viewable by any team. If you need to update, edit, modify or delete your record, please go to "My Account-TeamWork Online” above and put in your email address and password.
Click here to view all other job opportunities on this board.
Contact the TeamWorkOnline webmaster / FAQ